Friday, September 18, 2009

I Turn My Camera On

The weather has cooperated and provided a beautiful first day in Oslo. With a small bag of a change of clothes, water, and peanuts (what more do you need, really?), I picked up my camera and began capturing my travels. You'll have to wait a few days for the photos to make their way to my Flickr feed--traveling without my computer means no uploading and no editing. (It also means running low on storage space. More on that later, perhaps.)

It has been delightful: snapping photos and walking (lots of walking) from the fjords to the fortresses (yes, fortresses). I knew from even a cusory scan of the visitor's guide that the sight to see would be the Opera House--a breathtaking feast of archetecture and engineering carved right in to the Oslo coastline. I stopped off in the Nobel Peace Centre, waved "Hi" to the armed guards outside the King's digs, and took in a national science fair at the University of Oslo.

It has been noisy in that way that Europe is--here is a city smaller than Cincinnati, Ohio with light rail, subway, train, monorail, and bus after all--and it has been quiet in a way that almost never is. The penetrating sound of the day has been the snap of my shutter--my phone is buried at the bottom of my bag. My photos will say more for me and my time in Norway than I could to anyone by a phone call. I'm staying busy, then, amassing a most impressive text.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home